16 Operational Training Unit (OTU)
RAF Upper Heyford, England Formed at Upper Heyford on 8 April 1940 from the No 4 Group Pool , which comprised No's 7 and 76 Squadrons, within No 6 Group, to train night bomber crews equipped for which it was equipped with Hampdens and Herefords. It was transferred to No 7 Group on 15 July 1940 until 11 May 1942 when No 7 Group was renumbered No 92 Group. It converted to Wellingtons in April 1942 and from March to December its HQ moved to Barford St John whilst runways were laid at Upper Heyford. It disbanded on 1 January 1945.
The unit reformed within No 92 Group the same day when No 1655 (Mosquito) Training Unit was redesigned No 16 OTU. It remained at Upper Heyford until 1 March 1946 when it moved to Cottesmore, where it disbanded on 15 March 1947, its aircraft and personel being used to create No 231OCU and No 204 Advanced Flying School.